Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The big surprise!!

** I'll post pics later, I need sleep!!!
For several months, my 7 year old and I have been keeping a HUGE secret from my husband. It's actually pretty hilarious that I think I've told everyone and she has told not a soul! What a good girl. Now we tell all!
Here's the stealth scoop - my very giving and kind husband has volunteered a few summers with Appalachia Service Project. If your aren't familiar with it, think Habitat for Humanity, but on existing homes in some of our poorer areas of the country. He doesn't talk about it much, but I know he is very moved by being involved. He leaves for 9 days - we miss him so, but we have lots of work to do!! So, back to the surprise - I cooked up a scheme in January or February to make over our bedroom while he is away. How cool?! Since I handle the family finances, he was none the wiser. I started furniture shopping and finally found the perfect things back in March - it's now sitting on a truck and the attempt is to get it delivered this week. Furniture companies are none too reliable - there are way too many variables to get this moving, so to speak. BUT... when you share a super secret surprise with the girls in the office, they can't help but step in and try to help out. We'll see.
My little one and I have picked out paint, fabric for window treatments, lighting, bedding. You name it, we did it. I even hooked up with Patricia from PVE design (see "inspiring minds want to know" to check out her talent!) I sent her a photo of our house and she did an AMAZING watercolor of it.
The whole thing was to really show my husband how great he is and he so deserved this. We have built a loving home together. He works hard and has set a wonderful example to our daughter. We had my old high school hand-me-down furniture from when I moved into my brother's old room, no headboard, cute but cheap-o night tables I refinished. You know the drill - the kid gets the beautiful new furniture and we get, well, yuck - topped off with horrible yellow walls.

I have been working really hard since Saturday am when he pulled out to make this happen. I am just about finished painting and next have to deal with straightening the room out and cleaning the carpet. Birdie and I sewed the drapes last week together - yummy silk dupioni.
Wish us luck that the furniture arrives and we can pull of this great surprise for a very deserving husband.

No comments: