Friday, July 11, 2008

THE plastic bag


THE is capitalized for a reason. really. best shopping bag ever. I made this out of 4 plastic shopping bags. I found a tutorial on etsy one day, stumbled across it and felt compelled to try it. I have since made a pile of these crazy things. The Target ones are really cool too - the dots are a really cool design feature. I have been using them for about 6 months now for all of my shopping - grocery, target, hardware store, fabric store. They hold a lot more than it's original bag and they are very strong. Only supplies you need - 4 plastic bags, iron, parchment paper, handle materials.

I was inspired to pop this on line because I have been a lurker on http://beachbungalow8.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html for awhile now and she's got some really great ideas. She tossed this idea around on here site and wondered if anyone had tried them. Well, I DID! I even had a little class at my home one night for a bunch of ladies in my volunteer group - they loved them and they have contagiously all made more as well.

I like that they have saved my from using hundreds of bags so far - I've done the math and it's really true! - and they are cool and sturdy. I love when a trend is good for the environment and serves double duty as a craft! Let me know if you need info - I can talk you through construction and give you some great tips on sewing one up for yourself!

No comments: